Wednesday, March 1, 2017

"Strange Fruit" by Lynn River Lucci

INTERVIEW and EXCERPT
Strange Fruit
by Lynn River Lucci


Author Lynn River Lucci stops by today for an interview and to share an excerpt from her new book, Strange Fruit.

Description
This tantalizing compilation of poetry and short stories chronicles the evolution of one woman's sexuality and choices in life and love.

Excerpt
As it were, he was an untouchable.
Like most of my A list-ers.
Intelligent. Attractive. And unavailable.
“Involved”.
A respectable and honorable man,
One after my own heart.
I willed to leave well enough alone…
A lady does not pursue the man of another woman.
Nor would she knowingly be wooed into his arms.
A kind lady; a wise one.
But suddenly our hellos aren’t as innocent as before.
There’s more inquiry in the way he now lets his eyes roam ... lower.
Our conversations are less work and more play.
Less networking and more strategy.
Words are carelessly selected, for ambiguities’ sake.
I liked it.
We waltz around the idea of opportunity.
I am more direct but I yield to his slower way.
And then, before the fruit of labor is ripe for picking,
The grapevine was thwarted.
Long before the fruit tree took root in the ground,
A sudden twist of fate turned things around.
Or maybe the weak willed human nature,
Lured by the power of dominance;
A desire, fueled by the vulnerability of its prey.
I lay awake and wonder.
The possibilities, endless.
My imagination, hopeful.
I sleep soundly and dream into the sunrise.
[Want more? Click below to read a longer excerpt.]


Interview With the Author
Lynn River Lucci joins me today to discuss her new book, Strange Fruit.
For what age group do you recommend your book?
Strange Fruit is suitable for the 18+ age group.
What sparked the idea for this book?
I got the idea for this book during a girl's night, where my friends and I reminded ourselves of past lovers.
What was the hardest part to write in this book?
The last two poems were the toughest to write.
So, which comes first? The character's story of the idea for the novel?
In this case, the character's story came first. The idea for the novel was much later.
How do you hope this book affects its readers?
I hope that readers can relate to the encounters the main characters have and how she experiences love, loss and ultimately emancipation.
How long did it take you to write this book?
Believe it or not, about 5 years! This book started out as a creative writing exercise to help me clear my mind. The intent to publish was not set from the beginning.
What is your writing routine?
I write purely by inspiration. When an idea or concept strikes me, I jot it down and usually try to sketch out an outline.
How did you get your book published?
Via Amazon Kindle.
What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Be persistent and consistent! This will ultimately yield success.
What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I enjoy traveling, singing and crossword puzzles.
Please tell us a bit about your childhood.
My childhood was unique in the sense that I was raised by my grandmother and great-grandparents. From an early age, people would say I was an "old soul", but it's likely because most of my childhood was spent as an only child in a house with my grandparents and great grandparents.
Did you like to read when you were a child?
Yes, I enjoyed both reading and writing as a child.
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Although I've been writing since the age of 9, it never occurred to me to become a writer until a couple of years ago.
Did your childhood experiences influence your writing?
My childhood experiences (and in some cases, lack thereof) definitely influenced my writing.
Which writers have influenced you the most?
What can we look forward to from you in the future?
Definitely a couple of novels based on lovers described in Strange Fruit.
Thanks so much for stopping by today, Lynn. Wishing you all the best for your future projects.
Thanks for having me, Lynda!

Links